I couldn't start this new article without a little note “Carnet Rose”: all my congratulations to Léa Godallier and Baptiste Bénétoux for one of the very beautiful news of the year 2023 #littlebaby!
But let's return to our business of the day: the playing fields padel are assembled and disassembled very simply, it's a bit like Lego except that here, we are in the land of Ikea!
Seasonal temperatures, humid weather, rather slow terrain and still some controversies around the service …Enrich all of this with a few points from elsewhere and our actor favorite Juan Lebron and here you are in the Malmö Arena for this penultimate stage of the WPT 2023. Mexico will follow and of course the Master Final in Barcelona!
As usual, “Coach Zorrus” offers you his analysis of the tournament.
On the feminine side, first of all a point worthy of a lesson in padel in the final between Brea / Gonzalez and Salazar / Araujo.
Then, the “puerta” of Bea Gonzalez against Triay/Ortega.
For the men, a splendid point with a mind-blowing counter from Arturo Coello on Sanyo Gutierrez.
You can also admire this crazy point in time between Stupa/Di Nenno and Ruiz/Bergamini.
We end with the one between Lebron/Galan and Arroyo/Alonso: only very good!
- Tello and Ruiz eliminated in 1/8th final with a catastrophic match! Perhaps a change of partner in 2024?
- The little slack of Ariana Sanchez and Paula Josemaria who lost heavily in the semi-final
- Coello and Tapia are in trouble... Well, everything is relative but it's been much less fluid in recent tournaments. Physical, mental wear or both?
- Looking forward to next year to see “Frenchies” in the final tables of the circuit Premier Padel !
- A 1/8th final for Alix Collombon and Lorena Rufo after a superb “comeback” against the Frenchwoman's former partner, Victoria Iglesias, and Claudia Fernandez.
- We welcome the return to the summit of “Queen” Alejandra Salazar. Even though she lost to Superpibas, the 39-year-old is back in great shape.
- The Gutierrez family in the quarter-finals: the magician and his nephew are in place!
- Edu Alonso and Alex Arroyo also in quarter: great performance and certainly one of the nice surprises of the end of the 2023 year.
- The great comeback of the Galan/Lebron pair who returns to the top. On the other hand, Juanito will have to stop the “comedy of art” ! Otherwise it's direction Hollywood rather than the tracks of padel !
The finals movie
In the women's category, we hoped for a new pair at the top but that was not the case. There was really no doubt about the outcome of this final as the Gonzalez / Brea pair dominated it! A little nod nonetheless for the return of Alejandra Salazar to her best level: what a player!
For the men, same fight and same final as for the girls. Despite a few bursts of pride from the Stupa / Di Nenno pair, Lebron and Galan won this WPT in Malmö without really trembling. Between a certain mental freshness and a return to full physical form from Juan Lebron at the end of the season, wouldn't Jorge Martinez's players become the favorites for the Barcelona Master Final?
The challenge of this end of season: the fight at the top between pairs 1 and 2: make your predictions!
Come on, it's not the holidays yet but we're going to Mexico and more precisely to the Gimnasio Olimpico de la Barrera for the last stage of this WPT 2023, before the Master Final, scheduled in Barcelona from December 14 to 17!
Laurent Imbert, alias Coach Zorrus, is a true French legend of the Padel. From its beginnings in the 90s, it has known everything about the evolution of Padel in France and around the world! A true connoisseur, known and recognized by his peers in France and abroad, he will share his expertise with us at each stage of the WPT!