Let's come back to the important points of the service. During the live tutorial offered by Julien Bondia, we discussed all the facets of this engagement shot at padel. Here is the summary.
Service is as important as a forehand or backhand. It allows us to immediately take advantage over our opponents. Since we do it more than 30 times per game, it deserves to be talked about more often.
First of all, it is important to remember the rules:
- The point of impact of the ball must be below the level of the belt
- It is forbidden to walk on the line before hitting
- 1 of both feet must be in contact with the ground at the time of striking
- The ball must bounce before being hit
- The ball must bounce before the service line
- In the case of NO AD or Punto de Oro, it is the recipients who decide on the service side
In order for your services to be as efficient as possible, train in 2 ways; physically by trying new services, effects etc, and mentally by concentrating on the fact of carrying out as often as possible the first balls, and clearly differentiating a first from a second service.
The technique for performing the service should always be the same so that you are really comfortable and especially in a position of strength over your opponents.
- The front leg should point towards the place where you want to serve.
- The throw must accompany the ball downwards and not throw it upwards. Extend your arm at shoulder height and accompany the ball towards the ground. So you will always have the same bounce without having to make a height error.
- The ball can be thrown in front, at height or slightly back to change the angles and the effects.
- The pala should be behind you, already ready, in the high position, arm slightly broken. This way you save time on preparation and use gravity to give more power and spin to the ball.
- The hitting of the ball will be done with a cut or brushed effect in order to complicate the return.
- The end of the gesture will be a winding of your dominant arm around your neck like a scarf. So you will have a good dynamic forward, and you can quickly find the waiting position at the net.
- The throw will be the same
- The pala preparation will be lower in order to have more control and precision
- Typing will be slightly cut or flat
- The speed and curve of the ball will be different
Serve as a backhand
- Recommended if your attacking backhand is effective
- Recommended on the left side for a right-handed person or on the right side for a left-handed person
- The ball will be thrown up to give us time to prepare
- The effect will be cut
- The service will go towards the side window
Providing good service is not easy. A good server is someone who is able to vary effects, speeds, depth, orientation and curves. In addition, you have to adapt to the return qualities of opponents who differ in each match.
Service at padel is a move that must be unique to each player. It is up to you to find your service so that it is as efficient as possible and that it allows you to immediately take charge of the point. The smarter you are, the better your service will be.
At work !
Tutorial padel live with Julien Bondia. The service.
Published by Padel Magazine on Saturday May 9, 2020
Julien Bondia is a teacher of padel in Tenerife. He is the founder of AvantagePadel.net, a software very popular with clubs and players of padel. Columnist and advisor, he helps you to play better through his many tutorials padel.