We're not going to beat around the bush: yes, this return to the Decathlon Amsterdam Padel Open is late. But understand me and be tolerant: how hard it was to digest this elimination in the quarter-finals... Not from the WPT (and not even in over 45 years!) but from this Rugby World Cup... at home!
Come on, after a little personal complaint (yes we have the right to complain from time to time), let's return to our Decathlon Amsterdam Padel Open 2023
On the women's side, the choice was difficult but this time we will start on the point between Brea / Gonzalez and Ortega / Triay. At 5/1 and 15/40 in the first set on Martita Ortega's serve... I'll just let you watch!
Among the gentlemen, there is of course Javi Leal's point (ouch that hurts the eyes!) but my choice this time is not one point but the entire tiebreak of the semi-final between Stupa / Di Nenno and Lebron / Galan. Only very good!
- The cracking of Coello and Tapia, eliminated in 16th final : No, you're not dreaming !
- Diaz and Lamperti eliminated from 1er turn: the weight of the years has taken over the immense talent of these two players.
- The Alayeto sisters (Las Gemelas Atomikas), take a little tour and then leave. The end of their careers already announced by the two players for 2023 is coming.
- Our French men and women who have almost all disappeared from the WPT radars! While waiting for the Premier Padel...
- First semi-final on the WPT for Osoro and Castello (former partner of Alix Collombon) who beat the Salazar / Araujo pair in the ¼ final.
- The Tison/Geens pair which reaches 1/8th final after an obstacle course with 5 victories
- The Sainz / Llaguno pair who reached the ¼ finals and lost 7/6 6/4 against Bréa / Gonzalez: what a performance for the two “old hands” of the circuit!
- Belluati and Ruiz who lost in three sets in the quarter-finals against Stupa and Di Nenno. Is this the comeback of Belluati?
The finals movie
Among the women, Ari Sanchez and Paula Josemaria are certain to finish the year world number 1 ! It is a consecration for these two players who once again dominated this final head and shoulders. Despite a 1er set won in the tie-break, they then inflicted a 6/0 in the second set on the Gonzalez / Brea pair. Their domination this year is unchallenged on the planet padel ! Congratulations ladies for this exceptional season!
Among the gentlemen, we have a feeling of déjà vu: our Paquito on fire during a set next to a Chingotto regulated like clockwork and then the physical collapse of the Andalusian which leads (not alone either) once again to the defeat of this pair (admittedly improving) against the Superpibes Stupa and Di Nenno.
Perhaps the beginning of an answer to the Menorca Open from October 21 to 29.
Laurent Imbert, alias Coach Zorrus, is a true French legend of the Padel. From its beginnings in the 90s, it has known everything about the evolution of Padel in France and around the world! A true connoisseur, known and recognized by his peers in France and abroad, he will share his expertise with us at each stage of the WPT!