Are you a padel player who wants to get better? Do you train regularly and see no progress? The gym can be the solution.
We don't necessarily think about it, but the gym is a very good addition whatever your sport. If you want to improve your physical capacities and become better on the track, it necessarily goes through the gym and bodybuilding box.
So we are not talking about becoming a bodybuilder because it would be unproductive but know that all professional players do targeted bodybuilding, if possible, every day.
Why is it a good supplement?
- First of all because it allows you to prepare muscles that have not worked or have worked little for some time. We talk about recovery after an injury or preparation after a truce.
- Secondly, because the fact that the muscles work in a targeted manner, as is the case in the gym, allows the muscles to prepare for exercise, to get used to functioning, and to be called upon to slow, heavy, light or fast efforts, which will avoid possible injuries on the track.
- Finally, the room will make you gain in resistance, endurance. It is often in this area that players flinch. In a third set, it is important to be able to make a difference. Weight machines like the cardio zone with treadmills and other ellipticals will be great for working out this part of the game.
Not easy to force yourself to go to the room.
It is not always easy to leave your home to go to a gym. It is better to go through the room before returning home because once in your living room, it is difficult to force yourself to come out, especially after a hard day at work.
Here are some ideas that can motivate you.
- Go there with several. It is the best solution to keep you going. No excuses, if you refuse to go to the room, you will be the laughing stock of your partners, and vice versa.
- Setting goals that you can achieve in the short and long term is very important for the mind. Monitors are there to help and advise you, take advantage of it, ask questions. If you set impossible goals, the weight room experience will fail.
- The room is nothing boring on the contrary. You meet new people with different lives, situations and goals. The room also allows you to empty all these tensions accumulated during the day, in short it is a good sleeping pill. You will return home relieved.
- Try to vary your sessions. If every time you go to the gym you do the same thing, you will get bored quickly and it will stop progressing. The fitness rooms are very complete today with lots of machines and activities on offer, take advantage of it.
- Do not stay for hours in the room, it is useless. First take a one hour slot, it will be enough. Then you can adapt according to your desires and needs. No one should act for you.
What parts of the body to work?
The fitness room allows you to act on all the muscles of the body. For padel, there are certain areas to focus on.
It will be better to notify the coaches of your activity (the padel) and your goals.
The muscles heavily used on the padel are, on the lower part of the body, the glutes, the quadriceps and the calves. These muscles allow of course the movements but also to make the strikes more effective, to maintain endurance and to perform in good conditions the different jumps.
The abdominals and lower back allow you to hold your body. We use them a lot for shots requiring rotation (and there are many) or acceleration (smash, Bandeja).
The upper part is also important with the pectorals, shoulders, biceps, triceps and the forearm of the dominant hand. But beware. In order not to completely unbalance your body, consider performing weight training for both arms.
The fitness room is a great addition to any sport. Sporting activity is essential to a healthy lifestyle. If for economic reasons you cannot access a room, take a look at the home training videos we offered during confinement !
Julien Bondia is a padel teacher in Tenerife. He is the founder of AvantagePadel.net, a software very appreciated by clubs and padel players. Columnist and advisor, he helps you play better through his many padel tutorials.